In addition to deciding how your app content is organized for navigating and browsing (tasks 1 and 2), you need to decide whether you want a queue or any custom controls for playing the content.
Car makers take care of implementing and styling the playback view, minimized control bar, and queue. They also provide a basic set of playback controls, including Play/Pause, Next, Previous, and Overflow. If these controls are sufficient for your app, then you’re done.
However, if you want to provide a queue or access to additional playback actions beyond the ones that car makers provide, you need to decide:
- Whether to display thumbnails for queue items
- Whether to display an icon or elapsed time for the currently playing item in the queue
- Whether to include previously played items in the queue
- Which custom actions you want on the control bar, and whether they should replace the car makers’ Next and Previous controls
- What the icons representing the relevant states of each action (such as available and disabled) will look like
Keep in mind the guidelines below.